Monday, January 17, 2011

Critical Reaction from Shannon and Morioka Article

Today, I am going to do homework I missed. Anyway, I think this helps to review the old readings, which are Shannon and Morioka Article.
 I will try to summary for their idea and also answer questions given.  

First, about Shannon, there is ethical theory.
It is the process to justify a particular ethical decision.

* Consequentialism -Considering the consequences of various answers.
* Dentologism-Specifying obligations or moral duties. (Look at duty)
* Rights Ethics- Depend on society's rights or moral claims.
* Intuitionism- Appealing to one's intuition. Depend on person's moral sense.

Second, ethical terms are introduced in Shannon article.
It is the basic term used in bioethical discussions.

* Autonomy- A form of personal liberty of action that is the individual determines a course of action.
* Nonmaleficence- Not to harm others by mentally and directly. Also, do not make a risk.
* Beneficence- Give opportunity to others, but it is depend on them to use.
* Justice- Comparative Justice is for balancing the groups or other individuals.
               Noncomparative Justice is for individuals
* Informed Consent- Patients can discuss value implications of treatments or clarify what is important for them.  
* Paternalism- Action is active but not requested from individual.
* Rights- Moral rights, Legal rights. Positive right

Third, about Morioka Article, this can be separated in two section.
Main Points- Illustrating how the Japanese have responded to newly imported bioethical ideas by examining their discourse on brain and patient's rights. 
Section 1- History of events (Back ground Info).
              - Heart transplantation=taboo in Japan. Are there some reasons?        
Section 2- Paternalistic behavior (Close-door medicine) is wide spread. Refusing to disclose info.
              - No Informed consents, patients' right, self determine.
Section 3- One of the reason is cultural factor.
              - Japanese people have the belief that is related to human's body and soul. They think their dead body still have souls to next world. So they should keep body perfectly. (Animism and Confucianism) On the other hand, Americans think traditional western notions of mind-body dualism.   

Section 4- Analyzing section for future Japan.
              -  Paternalistic medical customs have changed.
              - Gaps because of Western technique but Chinese Spirit.  
              - Keep only important things form Western and China.
a) Will you donate your own organs?
I will donate my organs in case of brain death or death from heart failure.
Those two cases are unavoidable death.  
Because of consequentialism, the other person will survive. (Shanon)  
Because of western notions of mind-body dualism. (Morioka)
Because of human's rights. (Shanon and Morioka)

b) Would you allow your parents to decide if you were brain death? Also, would you donate the organs of your young child?

First, I think I will allow my parents to donate my organs because I think when I am dead, I will not concern about it. Whatever will haven is ok for me. Second, I will not donate the organs of my child because I do not want give my child to anyone. So I will not accept in that case. 

No comments:

Post a Comment